We have a fantastic volunteer program located in Kalimantan, for your Borneo adventure. Our program will introduce you to the issues facing the natural environment and the work FNPF is doing on the ground, including reforestation and environmental education.
Our main work occurs in and around Tanjung Puting National Park (TPNP) including at our Volunteer Centre at Jerumbun.
Tanjung Puting National Park
Tanjung Puting National Park is located on the banks of the Sekonyer River. Our main volunteer centre is at Jerumbun, close to Sekonyer village, approximately 2 hours up river from the port town of Kumai, which is a 30-minute drive from the Pankalanbun airport.
Jerumbun Volunteer Centre
This is FNPF’s main volunteer centre in Kalimantan. It is located on the banks of the Sekonyer River adjacent to the National Park. We have approximately 100 hectares as a buffer zone between the National Park and a Palm Oil plantation. The centre is the primary location of accommodation, and volunteer activities.
For more information please download our brochure here.
Activities change depending on our current requirements, but below is a list of some of the activities:
- tree planting
- filling polybags
- collecting seeds and seedlings
- collecting food for cattle
- teaching English to staff
- working in the nursery
How to get to Central Kalimantan (Borneo)?
Pangkalan Bun is the largest city close to our site.
By air – direct flights from Jakarta, Semarang and Surabaya
Please contact us on the following email address for assistance with your domestic flights and booking: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our staff will meet you at the airport. Please ensure you notify us of the arrival time of your flight
By sea – ferry from Semarang or Surabaya directly to Kumai harbour.
Accommodation and facilities are very basic. Volunteers must be also prepared to share accommodation, meals, work tools and personal space with other volunteers and local staff.
Important: volunteers will not handle orangutans
Please do not apply if you are hoping to handle orangutans during this project.
Volunteers who want to visit Camp Leakey to see semi-wild orangutans can arrange a tour. FNPF is happy to assist with this request.
What must I bring to Borneo?
- Indonesian Rupiah cash, for your personal expenses (you might want to buy souvenirs or cold drinks)
- 2 photocopies of your passport to process police checks, which is normal practice for tourist in Indonesia
- A photocopy of the Indonesian visa.
- Long sleeve light clothing
- Insect repellent
- Good walking shoes
- good gloves for farming
- dry bag for electronic items
- waterproof jacket
- battery pack / power bank
- torch / head torch
- large water bottle
- flip flops
- Cash (there are no ATMS once you leave Kumai for Jerumbun)
- Books, musical instruments, music, podcasts etc. Anything to entertain yourself
- Basic first aid kit
Volunteer Costs with FNPF
The volunteer fees are as follows:
The rate includes :
- Transport airport to working site return
- Accommodation at FNPF site office
- Full board meal similar with our staff
- Police permit
- Transportation in conjunction with the work
Not Included – the fee (Tanjung Puting National Park) :
- Park entrance fee (if required) approximately 250,000 rph/day.
- Other personal expenses
Not included in the fee (Lamandau Reserve) :
- Transportation from FNPF Branch Office to Lamandau River Reserve about USD 200 return can be share up to 3 person.
- Other personal expenses
Please note that we are not a commercial operation. All proceeds from guests are “donations” and 100% of the money is used to fund FNPF’s project work. By staying with us, you get to stay in a unique environment, participate in conservation and community development work, and provide funds that help FNPF to continue its work.
How to apply?
Email us with your preferred dates and any questions you might have. Please CLICK HERE TO APPLY the application form and send it to email@example.com. We will then review your request and confirm whether we have availability. To secure your placement, you will then be asked to pay a deposit of 50%. Please note that we cannot secure a place without a deposit (we receive many requests to volunteer from people who change their plans).
Download our brochure here for more information.